Today we started scraping and sanding the pillars on the Gerald house. Overall, they're in pretty good shape, but we scraped down the bumpy seams and shaved off the bumps. You can see how the old lead paint is cracked and peeling beneath the newer layers of paint, and a few areas needed to be gouged out and cleaned up. Once we did that, we primed it with Neverpeel Exterior Primer. It looks pretty bad at this point, but generally, old wood like this looks worse before we fix it up and make it look good again. Later, I'll post a few pictures of the same pillar after we've primed and applied elastomeric to it.