Category Archives: Benjamin Moore’s Aura Exterior Paint

Caulking the Blue House

   

We just finished caulking our first exterior job of 2014, and are going to start painting it today.

wpid-20140403_132130.jpg    

We applied a coat of Benjamin Moore's Aura to the house last fall before the builder replaced the windows, fascias, and soffitts over the winter (the homeowner wanted the house to be blue through Missoula's dreary winter). So now we only need to apply a solid second coat and the house will be finished.wpid-20140403_132134.jpg

wpid-20140403_132140.jpg

The Dollhouse Remodel

We're working on this old house in Missoula's Rattlesnake. The DollhouseThe white splotches are elastomeric patching compound, and even though you can't tell, we primed all the shingles with Neverpeel clear wood primer to toughen up all the old shingles as well as to seal the new ones (this is a remodel project where they've added new windows and expanded the building, which required new shingles to be mixed with the old). And as usual, we're using Benjamin Moore's Aura Exterior Paint on this house, both inside and out.  

From One House to the Next

This week we painted 2 houses and started a third one. Well, we prepped the first one one day last week and painted it on Tuesday. We started with this one, which just needed some basic preparation (scraping, caulking, and some elastomeric) before painting: Blue Hill House After we finished that one, we prepped and painted this one (which is only 6 years old): 20130903_162159 It has Hardiplank siding (which is concrete fiberboard), and it was in good shape except a lot of the caulking had cracked and needed to be re-caulked, and the drip cap over the belly band was obviously in terrible shape (water falls onto it when it rains, and the original paint and factory primer weren't very good). Luckily, we know how to fix it--in this picture, we had already scraped and primed it with Neverpeel clear primer, which toughened it up a lot and prepared it for elastomeric, which you can see in the next picture (it's the white stuff on the pillars). Unfortunately, I was so focused on getting work done that I didn't take any wide-angle before shots. 20130904_145508 The customer also wanted to go with a more pronounced blue and darker accents on the corbels (the supports along the gable). Corbels   Blue House Brown Corbels Here are a couple shots of the dripcap and how it looks after we prepped and painted it, although we were still going around sharpening edges when I took these pictures:

Front Corner Painted Painted Dripcap

Once we finished that house, we started scraping and priming this extremely nice house in the university neighborhood: Gerald House We're going to change the colors and really transform it onto something interesting. In the next shot, you can see our guy Clay--while he looks pretty crazy, he's extremely dedicated and helps make these houses look great. IMG_2021   Gerald House Front Porch   Gerald House Front Between the house and garage, it has 56 windows. Yes, 56 windows. And we're going to paint all of them black with green trim, which I think will look great. I'll try to post some pictures of the process (scraping, priming, caulking, and window glazing as necessary).    

Fixing LP Siding

We recently painted this house with deteriorating LP siding. Repairing LP Siding The white spots are elastomeric patching compound, which we always use to fix up exterior wood products (and stucco). The next picture isn't great, but this side of the house was completely wrecked. We scraped the undersides of every board, primed all of it, sealed it with elastomeric, then painted it. It's labor intensive, but it works well. Fixed LP Siding   I really need to start taking the time to get good before and after shots, but we're so busy I'm always trying to get work done and forget. I'll post some better shots of this house soon so you can see how good it looks.